BMI Weekly News
BMI Weekly News
October 14, 2019
News of Interest
Ã¢- Congratulations to members of our faculty for recent promotions, awards, and grants:
Â° Sharon Ackerman, Ph.D. (BMI) - Received the College Teaching Award
Â° Jeffrey Withey, Ph.D. (BMI) - Promotion to Professor
Â° Li Zhou, M.D. (HFHS) (BMI Adjunct) - Promotion to Adjunct Associate Professor
Â° Yan-Yuan (Jeffrey) Tseng, Ph.D. (CMMG, BMI Retreat) Promotion to Associate Professor (RE) with tenure.
Â° Eric Sebzda, Ph.D. (BMI) - KCI funding award for his scientific pilot project "Target KLF-2-mediated immune suppression to treat established prostate cancer".
Ã¢- Congratulations and thanks to the following BMI students, for their participation in Wayne State University's Chuan-Pu Lee, Ph.D. Endowed Graduate Student Research Presentation Day (GSRPD). Dr. Lee was a member of the faculty of one of our predecessors, the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology.
- Madison Peterson 2019 GSRPD committee member, Abstracts, Public Relations, Oral presentation (Withey lab).
- Nathan Kelley, 2019 GSRPD committee member, Judges (He lab).
- Kaitlyn Gordon, Oral presentation (Sebzda lab)
- Taylor Vensko, Poster presentation (Pellett lab)
- Alice Turner, Poster presentation (Huttemann lab)
- Ashley Anderson, Poster presentation (Pellett lab)
- Vanessa Kamdoun, Poster presentation (Kovari lab)
- Ali-Rida Beydoun, Poster presentation (Kovari lab) - Honorable Mention Recipient
- Cameron Roberts, Poster presentation (Mitra lab)
- Raniya Abdel Haq, Poster presentation (Mitra lab)
- Kendall Muzzarelli, Poster presentation (Kovari lab) - Honorable Mention Recipient
- Andrew Kulek, Poster presentation (Przyklenk lab)
- James Glassbrook, Poster presentation (Gibson lab)
Â° GSRPD BMI Day-of volunteers: Taylor Vensko, Kendall Muzzarelli, Jonathan Greenberg, Vanessa Kamdoun, Bhavita Bhaya, and Jillian Green
Ã¢- Journal Club/RDP: PhD student, Ashley Anderson, presents title: "Timing is everything: Human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) cVAC biogenesis depends on pUL103 expression late in infection" on Monday, October 14, 2019, 12:30am-1:20pm, 3125 Scott Hall. Mentor: Dr. Phil Pellett
Ã¢- BMI Seminar: Speaker, Zhara Assar-Nossini, Ph.D. Title: "Structure-Based-Drug-Design Approaches in Industry: 1. Structure-Based Mutational Analysis to Study Binding Mechanisms. 2. Protein Crystallization and Rational Drug Design via Thermal Shift Assay." Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 11:30am-12:25pm, 2268 Scott Hall, School of Medicine. Hosted by: Cameron Roberts firstname.lastname@example.org, BMI Students
Ã¢- Next Journal Club/RDP: PhD student, Yingxue Zhang, presents title: "Crystal structure of SMYD2 complex with Parp1 peptide reveals an unexpected secondary binding site." on Monday, October 21, 2019, 12:30am-1:20pm, 3125 Scott Hall. Mentor: Dr. Zhe Yang
Ã¢- The OVPR is offering a free research development seminar on a post award subject: Using Researcher's Dashboard, Thursday, October 24, 2019, 12:45 p.m. - 2:15 p.m., Margherio Conference Center. See attached posting for the complete details.