BMI Weekly News- August 2, 2021
August 2, 2021
Congratulations to Emma Graffice, from the Theis lab, for successfully defending her thesis, “Identifying and Isolating Microbes Commonly Associated with Microbial Invasion of the Amniotic Cavity.” Emma has joined a Ph.D. program at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Congratulations to Dr. Kezhong Zhang and his collaborators on receiving a new NIH R01 grant (2.3 million budget) to support their research in RNA modification in circadian metabolism. This is a multiple PI grant with Northwestern University, on which he serves as the contact PI. Dr. Zhang is a member of the Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, with a retreat appointment in BMI. Web news link: https://today.wayne.edu/medicine/news/2021/07/26/wsu-researcher-secures-23-million-in-nih-funding-for-metabolic-research-44143
• BMI Faculty meeting will be held Thursday, August 5, at 11:30am, via Teams.
Event This Week:
• No events scheduled for this week.
• The BMI Department Picnic is Friday, August 27th (the Friday before classes start). It will be at Belle Isle
Park, Shelter 12, the same large shelter that was used for the 2019 picnic. Any questions or concerns contact Jillian Green firstname.lastname@example.org or Taylor Vensko email@example.com. More details to come as we get closer to the event.
♥ For some Belle Isle history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Isle_Park_(Michigan)
♥ Belle Isle official website: https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=736&type=SPRK
• BMI Retreat is Friday, September 24th, ̴ 8:00am-5:00pm. More details to come closer to the date.
Return to Campus:
• For Latest Updates and Information: Warrior Safe is Warrior Strong - School of Medicine - Wayne State University
◦ July 1, 2021 – From Office of Student Affairs:
• Employees: https://hr.wayne.edu/coronavirus/guide-for-employees
◦ Faculty & Staff Training Support Human Resources Link
• Everyone must complete the Campus Daily Screener Campus Daily Screener - Wayne State University
before coming to campus. All visitors and guests must complete the Guest Campus Screener Guest Campus Screener - Wayne State University.
◦ Masks are not required indoors for fully vaccinated individuals. Masks are not required outdoors for any
◦ Outdoor gatherings are welcome and encouraged with no size limitations. Masks are not required for
◦ Large indoor gatherings (more than 30 people) require the consent of the Public Health Committee.
Please have a contingency plan for inclement weather; gatherings will not be permitted to move indoors.
• Message from SOM Vice Dean Thane Peterson (7/1/2021) – Return to campus:
• Campus Health Center (CHC) – The COVID-19 Vaccine:
• Information on the COVID-19 Vaccines: Vaccines for COVID-19 | CDC
• To schedule a vaccine appointment, click on link: https://health.wayne.edu/covid-vaccine-appointment/
Links (as embedded in items above):
Return to Campus – Faculty & Staff Training Support: https://i.wayne.edu/view/60de1e8619c9c?utm_source=link&utm_medium=email-60de1e8619c9c&utm_campaign=Staff%2FFaculty+%283%29+Return+to+Campus+%E2%80%93+Faculty+%26amp%3B+Staff+Trai&utm_content=Read+this+email+on+the+Web