BMI Weekly News- September 13, 2021
BMI Weekly News
September 13, 2021
Fall 2021 BMI Newsletter
Kayla Gilmore and Madison Walton assembled an awesome newsletter to break the ice and allow everyone a chance to introduce themselves to each other, so we can all learn something new about the people we work with on a day-to-day basis. Thank you to all for submitting information and photos. Our department is made up of individuals from all over the world, with unique backgrounds, intriguing hobbies, and exceptional talents! We hope you enjoy reading the newsletter and getting to know each other better.
• Congratulations to Dr. Robert Lisak and colleagues for several recent papers, including:
- “Encephalitis and Myelitis in a Young Woman”, in Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm;
- “Acetylcholine receptor antibodies in a patient with sensory neuropathy,” in J Neuroimmunology;
- “COVID‑19 and neuroinflammation: a literature review of relevant neuroimaging and CSF markers in central nervous system inflammatory disorders from SARS‑COV2,” in J Neurology; and
- “Safety, efficacy, and tolerability of efgartigimod in patients with generalised myasthenia gravis (ADAPT): a multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial,” in The Lancet Neurology.
The papers are included in the attached file (Lisak paper collection - 09-2021.pdf).
Events This Week:
• IFG Seminar – September 14, 2021, 12:00 – 1:00 pm. Dr. Stacey Schultz-Cherry, Ph.D., Professor in the
Department of Infectious Diseases St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, presents “Influenza Pathogenesis and Vaccine Responses in Vulnerable Populations”. The students will meet virtually after the seminar.
Meeting ID: 973-9594 5678
Hosted by: Andrew Lipchik, PhD, Pharmacology Department, Wayne State University
Sponsored by: The Office of Vice President for Research, Wayne State University, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and Henry Ford Health System.
• BMI Seminar: Friday, September 17, 2021, 12:00 Noon
Speaker, Jonathan Haber, Educational Consultant and Author of Critical Thinking Essentials from MIT Press.
Title: “The Development of Critical Thinking Skills”
Meeting ID: 977 9190 4630
Host: Dr. Matthew Jackson
• BMI Seminar: Tuesday, September 21, 2021
Speaker, Katherine Gurdziel, Ph.D., Director, Bioinformatics, Genome Science Core, Wayne State University
Title: “Bioinformatics at the Genome Sciences Core”
Meeting ID: 974 4661 8432
Hosted by: Dr. Robert Akins firstname.lastname@example.org
• BMI Retreat: The 2021 BMI retreat will be held Friday, September 24, from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM.
The purposes are to learn what goes on in labs across the department and in labs of our extended faculty, and to get to know each other better. The program will include 3MT talks from our faculty, and research presentations from postdoctoral fellows and graduate students, plus a special program that is still in development.
The meeting will be held in Margherio Conference Center, which is connected to the Scott Hall dining room, and is large enough for appropriate social distancing. The meeting will be accessible electronically for those unable to attend in person. Lunch will be provided. More details will follow.
• Next BMI Seminar: Tuesday, September 28, 2021, 11:30 am
Speaker, A. Oveta Fuller, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Michigan School of Medicine
Title: “From Milkmaids to mRNA: Equipping Trusted Messengers to Effectively Implement Disease Prevention and Control”
Meeting ID: 927 3314 6619
Hosted by: Taylor Vensko, BMI Students GQ1369@wayne.edu
Return to Campus:
• Message from Vice Dean, Thane Peterson: Return to campus. Regarding items, Proof of Vaccination, Exceptions and COVID-19 Related Information, School of Medicine Return to Campus, and University Six-Month Flexible Work Arrangement Program. Message from Thane Peterson
• For Latest Updates and Information: https://wayne.edu/coronavirus/messages; or Warrior Safe is Warrior Strong - School of Medicine - Wayne State University
• From the Office of the President: VACCINE MANDATE FOR ALL CAMPUS. Masks are now required in all campus buildings for all individuals. Click link for information: https://outlook.office.com/mail/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=2021072701.02
• Students: https://wayne.edu/coronavirus/messages
◦ Faculty & Staff Learning & Support Resources: https://i.wayne.edu/view/6107e7745610e
• Everyone must complete the Campus Daily Screener Campus Daily Screener - Wayne State University
before coming to campus. All visitors and guests must complete the Guest Campus Screener Guest Campus Screener - Wayne State University.
◦ Masks are required indoors for all individuals. Click link for full information: https://outlook.office.com/mail/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=2021072701.02
• Campus Health Center (CHC) – The COVID-19 Vaccine:
• Information on the COVID-19 Vaccines: Vaccines for COVID-19 | CDC
• To schedule a vaccine appointment, click on link: https://health.wayne.edu/covid-vaccine-appointment/
Links (as embedded in items above):
• Message from Vice Dean, Thane Peterson: https://i.wayne.edu/view/611ffc330b1a2?utm_source=link&utm_medium=email-611ffc330b1a2&utm_campaign=MESSAGE+FROM+THANE+PETERSON&utm_content=Read+this+email+on+the+Web