BMI Weekly News- September 19, 2022
BMI Weekly Newsletter
September 19, 2022
- Message from the 2022 BMI Retreat Planning Committee:
- The 2022 BMI Retreat will be held in the Margherio Conference Center from 10:30 AM until 5:00 PM on Friday October 14. Please mark your calendars. The purposes of the retreat include sharing our science, providing information that will help new students choose labs and mentors, and having some fun and fellowship. The retreat organizing committee includes students from our four graduate programs, plus faculty from our two divisions. The program will include talks from students, research staff, and faculty, plus some special activities. Details about talk formats and lengths will be communicated next week. Lunch will be provided.
- If you have questions or suggestions, please contact any member of the planning committee. We look forward to your participation. 2022 BMI Retreat Planning Committee:
- Olivia Haskin, Angelica Quiroz, Michael Pawlitz, and Nouran Yonis
- Sharon Ackerman and Raghavendar Thipparthi
- Phil Pellett
- Current Trash Pick Up Procedures for Scott Hall: During the current staffing shortage in the custodial department, if your regular custodian is out, please take your trash to the central location (near the elevators) until your custodian returns. If you need more bags, please call the School of Medicine’s Facilities & Support Services office at 313 577-1460 and they will get some bags for you.
Events this Week:
- BMI New Student Portrait Session scheduled for all new Winter and Fall 2022 Students in BMI Program. Student portraits are for inclusion in the departmental website https://biochemmicroimmuno.med.wayne.edu/
- Date: Monday, September 19, 2022
- Times: 11:30am-12:30pm and 1:30pm-2:30pm
- Location: Medical Communications Department, Scott Hall, Room 1367
- For Assistance: James Jackson and April Wolak will be present and available on the first floor of Scott Hall during the event to assist with locating the Medical Communications Department in room 1367, where the portraits will be taken.
- For questions, contact either James at email@example.com or April at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Journal Club: Monday, September 19, 2022, 12:30pm, Scott Hall, Room 2268
- Presented by: IM PhD student, Tamima Tasnim
- Title: “Vibrio Cholerae Biofilms in Zebrafish Colonization and Transmission”
- Mentor: Dr. Jeffrey Withey
- In-Person BMI Seminar: Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 11:30am, Scott Hall, Room 2268
- Speaker: Alexander Galkin, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Research in Neuroscience (Interim), Weill Cornell Medicine
- Title: “Mitochondrial Injury in Brain Ischemia/Reperfusion”
- Hosted by: Susanna Viljaj email@example.com and the BMI Students
- Ult. Viewing Link: https://wayne-edu.zoom.us/j/92818543731?pwd=MmNNd1pMbnBrNVhZK1I3TSswQ2hHdz09
- Meeting ID: 928 1854 3731
- Passcode: 967873
- Journal Club: Monday, September 26, 2022, 12:30pm, Scott Hall, Room 2268
- Presented by: IM PhD student, Michael Pawlitz
- Title: TBA
- Mentor: Dr. Qing-Sheng Mi
- In-Person BMI Seminar: Tuesday, September 27, 2022, 11:30am, Scott Hall, Room 2268
- Speaker: Laurie T. Krug, Ph.D., NCI, NIH https://ccr.cancer.gov/staff-directory/laurie-t-krug
- Title: TBA
- Hosted by: IM PhD student, Taylor Vensko firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Campus:
- Campus Health Committee: WSU has mandated all students, faculty and staff to receive a flu shot by October 15, 2022. There are three dates for each in September and October that they will be at the School of Medicine to give out the flu shots. Please visit their flu page for more information on no out-of-pocket cost to receive the flu shot for enrolled students, faculty & staff and also for other locations where the flu shot will be given too.
- CHC Update on Campus Daily Screener, Vaccine Mandate and Masks: Click on this link for details:
- Screener Campus Daily Screener - Wayne State University.
- All visitors and guests must continue to complete the Guest Campus Screener Guest Campus Screener - Wayne State University.
- From Office of President Wilson: Resources with contact numbers to support, guide, and assist you while on campus: