BMI Weekly News- September 27, 2021
BMI Weekly News
September 27, 2021
• There will be a BMI Graduate Student Meeting this Friday, October 1st at 11 am in the 7th floor library.
Topics for discussion will include feedback on the BMI retreat and format input for next year, fall semester social events, coursework check-ins, seminars and lunches, and incorporation of critical thinking skills into graduate programming. A Zoom link will be sent out later this week for anyone unable to attend in person.
• The graduate student camping trip to Hoffmaster State Park is this weekend, Oct. 1-3. There is still one
open spot for anyone interested in joining. For those already signed up, be on the lookout this week for more information about travel, supply distribution, and activities. Questions can be directed to Madison Walton or Michael Muczynski. Happy camping, y’all!
• Thank you to all who helped to make this year’s BMI Retreat a great success! Over 50 people took part.
Note: There is still left-over fruit and sandwiches in the 7th floor Lounge room 7370. Please help yourself.
Event This Week:
• BMI Seminar: Tuesday, September 28, 2021, 11:30 am
Speaker, A. Oveta Fuller, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Michigan School of Medicine
Title: “From Milkmaids to mRNA: Equipping Trusted Messengers to Effectively Implement Disease Prevention and Control”
Meeting ID: 927 3314 6619
Host: Taylor Vensko email@example.com and BMI Students
• BMI Journal Club: Monday, Sept. 27, 2021, 12:30 pm
Speaker, Madison Walton
Title: “Into the unknown: Identifying Vibrio cholerae colonization factors in the zebrafish natural host”
Room 2268 Scott Hall
Mentor: Dr. Jeffrey Withey
• Next BMI Journal Club: Monday, October 4, 2021, 12:30 – 1:20 pm
Speaker, Cameron Roberts
Title: “The Zinc and Iron Binuclear Transport Center of ZupT, a ZIP transporter from Escherichia coli”
Room 2268 Scott Hall
Mentor: Dr. Bharati Mitra
• IFG Seminar – October 5, 2021, 12:00 – 1:00 pm.
Speaker: Dr. Maria Castro, R.C. Schneider Collegiate Professor of Neurosurgery, Professor, Cell and
Developmental Biology, Director NIH Cancer Biology Training Grant, Steering Committee Member, Woman of Color in the Academy Project, University of Michigan
• Next BMI In-Person Seminar: Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 11:30am – 12:25 pm.
Speaker, Salvador Almagro-Moreno, University of Central Florida (www.vibriocholerae.org)
Title: “Emergence and evolution of bacterial pathogens: The Vibrio paradigm”
Zoom Link: TBA
Host: Dr. Jeffrey Withey
Return to Campus:
• Message from Office of President Wilson: Welcome back to campus. A number of resources with contact numbers to support, guide and assist you while on campus. https://i.wayne.edu/view/6139026798d32?utm_source=link&utm_medium=email-6139026798d32&utm_campaign=Welcome+to+a+new+academic+year&utm_content=Read+this+email+on+the+Web and additional resources https://wayne.edu/safety
• For Latest Updates and Information: Warrior Safe is Warrior Strong - School of Medicine - Wayne State University
• Coronavirus campus updates: https://wayne.edu/coronavirus/messages
• Everyone must complete the Campus Daily Screener Campus Daily Screener - Wayne State University
before coming to campus. All visitors and guests must complete the Guest Campus Screener Guest Campus Screener - Wayne State University.
◦ Masks are required indoors for all individuals. Click link for full information: https://outlook.office.com/mail/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=2021072701.02
• Campus Health Center (CHC) – The COVID-19 Vaccine:
• Information on the COVID-19 Vaccines: Vaccines for COVID-19 | CDC
• To schedule a vaccine appointment, click on link: https://health.wayne.edu/covid-vaccine-appointment/