BMI Weekly News- September 6, 2021
BMI Weekly News
September 7, 2021
• Congratulations to Bhavita Bhaya, from the Withey lab, for successfully completing her M.S.
defense, "Mechanistic Determination of V. Cholerae ToxT response to its positive
effector, the bicarbonate ion, to control expression of virulence factors."
• Congratulations to Essence Turner, Jack D. Sobel, Robert A. Akins on publication of their
research article, “Prognosis of recurrent bacterial vaginosis based on longitudinal
changes in abundance of Lactobacillus and specific species of Gardnerella” in
• Message from BMI Student President, Madison Walton:
Welcome to all the new students joining us this Fall. Thank you for attending the New Student
Orientation Session on Tuesday, August 31st. I hope it was informative and answered any
questions you might have had.
• BMI retreat – Mark your calendar!
The 2021 BMI retreat will be held Friday September 24, from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM. The purposes are to learn what goes on in labs across the department and in labs of our extended faculty, and to get to know each other better. The program will include 3MT talks from our faculty, and research presentations from postdoctoral fellows and graduate students, plus a special program that is still in development.
The meeting will be held in Margherio Conference Center, which is connected to the Scott Hall dining room, and is large enough for appropriate social distancing. The meeting will be accessible electronically for those unable to attend in person. Lunch will be provided. More details will follow.
Event This Week:
• No events scheduled for this week.
• IFG Seminar – September 14, 2021, 12:00 – 1:00 pm.* Dr. Stacey Schultz-Cherry, Ph.D.,
Professor in the Department of Infectious Diseases St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital
presents “Influenza Pathogenesis and Vaccine Responses in Vulnerable Populations”.
*The students will meet virtually after the seminar.
Meeting ID: 973-9594 5678
Hosted by: Andrew Lipchik, PhD, Pharmacology Department, Wayne State University
Sponsored by: The Office of Vice President for Research, Wayne State University, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and Henry Ford Health System.
• Next BMI Seminar: Friday, September 17, 2021, 12:00 Noon
Speaker, Jonathan Haber, Educational Consultant and Author of Critical Thinking Essentials from MIT Press.
Title: “The Development of Critical Thinking Skills”
Meeting ID: 977 9190 4630
Host: Dr. Matthew Jackson
• BMI Retreat is Friday, September 24th, from 9:00 AM until 4:00 PM. More details to come.
Return to Campus:
• Message from Vice Dean, Thane Peterson: Return to campus. Regarding items, Proof of Vaccination, Exceptions and COVID-19 Related Information, School of Medicine Return to Campus, and University Six-Month Flexible Work Arrangement Program. Message from Thane Peterson
• For Latest Updates and Information: https://wayne.edu/coronavirus/messages; or Warrior Safe is Warrior Strong - School of Medicine - Wayne State University
• From the Office of the President: VACCINE MANDATE FOR ALL CAMPUS. Masks are now required in all campus buildings for all individuals. Click link for information: https://outlook.office.com/mail/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=2021072701.02
• Students: https://wayne.edu/coronavirus/messages
• Employees: Guide for employees - Human Resources - Wayne State University
◦ Faculty & Staff Learning & Support Resources: https://i.wayne.edu/view/6107e7745610e
• Everyone must complete the Campus Daily Screener Campus Daily Screener - Wayne State University
before coming to campus. All visitors and guests must complete the Guest Campus Screener Guest Campus Screener - Wayne State University.
◦ Masks are required indoors for all individuals. Click link for full information: https://outlook.office.com/mail/deeplink?popoutv2=1&version=2021072701.02
• Campus Health Center (CHC) – The COVID-19 Vaccine:
• Information on the COVID-19 Vaccines: Vaccines for COVID-19 | CDC
• To schedule a vaccine appointment, click on link: https://health.wayne.edu/covid-vaccine-appointment/
Links (as embedded in items above):
• Message from Vice Dean, Thane Peterson: https://i.wayne.edu/view/611ffc330b1a2?utm_source=link&utm_medium=email-611ffc330b1a2&utm_campaign=MESSAGE+FROM+THANE+PETERSON&utm_content=Read+this+email+on+the+Web