Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements and comply with all other requirements from the Office of Graduate Admissions:
- Qualified applicants must hold a B.S. or B.A. degree, usually with a major in Biology, Chemistry, or in approved cases, Physics or Mathematics from an accredited college or university. Competitive applicants should have a strong undergraduate background in the basic biological, chemical, and physical sciences.
- An undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.8 is required together with strong grades in science courses.
- Applicants must also submit the following documents and information:
- (Optional but recommended) Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. When requesting official GRE test scores from ETS, the Department Code 0202 for biochemistry should be used.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from faculty members who know you and your academic work. Ask your letter writers to tell us how they know you, and their opinion about your potential for success in a career related to your area of interest.
- A personal Statement of Purpose (one page). Include a description of long-term goals, research experiences, and why our program seems suited for you.
- Approval by the BMB MS admissions committee and by the Graduate Admissions Office
- International students must satisfy English Proficiency Requirements of the Wayne State University Graduate School. All applicants are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English to the Office of Graduate Admissions. A minimum score of 550 (paper based), 213 (computer based) or 79 (Internet based) is required on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), 6.5 is required on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or 64 is required on the Michigan English Test (MET). Please report your TOEFL score to Wayne State University using institution code 1898.
- Other Graduate School Admissions policies can be found at the Office of Graduate Admissions; you can also enter the online application portal at this website.